Whoopie pies are one of those controversial debate-sparking desserts that falls under the same category as Jaffa Cakes – are they a biccie, are they a cake? Honestly nobody knows and nobody cares, they’re just delish.
This is a bit of a special recipe today because it is from my BakedIn box subscription that I got for my bdayyy.
If you’ve never heard of BakedIn I would highly recommend you take a look – it is a sick gift for anyone that enjoys baking (or eating). Here’s their website: https://bakedin.co.uk/
They send subscription boxes each month with all the equipment e.g. baking paper, piping bags, and dry ingredients weighed out for a specific surprise bake (and everyone loves surprises).
It’s mint because you try things you previously never would, don’t have to splash out on ingredients you’ll use once, and don’t have to faff around weighing everything out. Ideal.
Before I share this very exciting recipe, here’s my even more exciting KG.
I have become a local celeb and honestly I’m worried the papz are hiding in my garden. It all started at the beginning of quarantine. I’d treated myself to a basketball because 1) keep myself entertained at home, and 2) impress all the bball girls with my astonishing skills when we return to uni.
I don’t have a hoop, and there’s none near my house. But no worries, I thought, I can just practise my ball handling skills 😉
Turns out that me bouncing a ball outside my house everyday really annoys my family and neighbours.
But no worries, I thought again, I can just take my ball on a walk with me and bounce it as I go. Genius.
I appreciate you may think this is a weird/embarrassing thing to do (especially when I’m trying and failing to bounce it between my legs) but it’s 2020, we move.
So there I was, bouncing my ball, ignoring the gang of youths that ask to play, and irritating the old couple trying to enjoy a peaceful walk. Life was good.
Then the villagers started to goss. Whilst having a social distance catch up with a friend, I was recognised by their neighbours as the basketball girl. I’m now scared to even go to the shops, worried about what people will say next. Celebrities have feelings too xoxo
Anyway in honour of my new found fame I made a whoopie pie into a bball. Pls ignore the state of me, the top takes too long to explain so just accept it.
Anyway, back to biz.
For the cookies:
- 115g butter
- 90g light brown sugar
- 80g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (1 whole, 1 yolkie)
- 150g grated carrot (2 carrots ish)
- 190g plain flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- optional – food colouring
For the filling:
- 100g butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- white choccie
- bang your oven on 180C
- Grease and line a few trays with baking paper – you might have to bake the whoopies in a few batches
- melt your butter
- stir this into the brown sugar, caster sugar + vanilla until nicely combined
- plop in your whole egg and egg yolk and give that a whizz up
- peel and grate your carrots, then squeeze out some of the liquid until they’ve reduced to 125g in weight (I did this by getting some kitchen roll and grabbing the carrot shreds, but you can also put them in a sieve and squish with a spoon)
- Fold these carrots into your butter sugar mix
- add the flour, cinnamon, ginger and baking powder
- mixy mixy
- I added a bit of orange gel food colouring because I just love E numbers
- put into a piping bag and pipe circles about the size of a 50p coin, and no higher than 1cm
- leave about 4cm between each circle because they spread like the plague
- bake them for about 12 mins, or until golden round the edges and set on top
- leave them to cool on the tray for 5 mins then transfer to a wire cooling rack
- whilst they’re cooling, whip up your filling
- gradually add the icing sugar and cinnamon to the butter and beat
- pipe the buttercream on one cookie, then sandwich with another cookie on top
- try to find ones that are similar sizes and match them up
- melt some white choccie and drizzle like a maniac
- if you want even more pazzazz, crush up some pistachios and sprinkle
And that’s that, hope you’re all keeping happy n safe n dat, luv ya lots, Han xxx