After my last post (https://bitchesthatbake.home.blog/2020/09/11/lemon-celebration-cake/) I received thousands of messages begging me to put up a tutorial on how to make the isomalt splash which decorated the top. I’m just giving the fans what they want x
Isomalt is a sugar alcohol (not the kind you can get sloshed on though 😦 ) and when it cools it sets like hard candy – perfect for sugar art. It can be blown into little bubbles, made into delicate flowers, or in this case, slopped around to make a splash.
Before we begin, here’s the KG.
The one accessory which should feature in every fashionista’s wardrobe: Primark’s Disney dog outfit range.
If you have a below average sized head and want to stand out from the crowd, then the small dog costumes will be right up your street. Slip into one of these and everyone will want to PET THAT DAWG.
Of course the stitch costume was whipped out after an incredibly *classy* bottomless brunch with my sistaz. The real question is though, who wore it better – me, Melis or the rat (Gregg)????
Anyway, moving on. I’ve made a cheeky vid for you all instead of just a written recipe – keepin up with the tech for kids these days. Pls enjoy.
- isomalt (ready tempered, clear, just get on amazon)
- gel food colouring
- silicone mat (this is needed)
- bottle of some kind
- Pop a few isomalt balls in a heatproof bowl
- chuck in the microwave and blast in 30second intervals until bubbling
- be really careful because it is literal molten sugar and can say from experience it hurts if you touch it
- add in any colouring you want at this point
- you might have to blast in the microwave again to get really hot (it sets up super quick so you have to move fast)
- pour your bubbling isomalt onto your silicone mat
- start to tip the mat to spread it around
- when the isomalt has cooled slightly on the mat (30 secs) lay the mat over a bottle and hold in the desired shape
- wait a couple of minutes until the isomalt has set hard
- carefully remove the bottle and peel off the silicone mat – take your time you don’t want to crack your masterpiece
- and that’s it!!! Pop it on top of your cake, sit back n chillax
And that’s everything my lovelies. Posts may be on the slow side for a while because my oven at uni is a genuine candle but I’ll see what I can rustle up.
Thanks for reading
Much love, Han, BTB x x x x x x